The DOS motivator

What the heck am I doing here?

I mentioned in the very first post, that DOS is not really state of the art any more. It may serve some educational, historic or nostalgia purposes. But as an operating system for every day use it has certainly a negligible market share. I am writing this series as I came across a large pile of old floppy disks somewhere in my basement. I wanted to get rid of them. And I wanted to check what is on there. Any hidden gems? Any long forgotten games? Any cool software that I loved to use in the 80-ies and 90-ies?

The situation

In the picture below, you will see just the portion of floppy disks that have already been transformed into floppy image files. Another 150 already went to the bin. And yet another 100 is waiting to be imaged.


You can see a lot of Microsoft stuff in there, some items from HP and of course many others. I will get to the hidden gems some time later. But at least you get a feeling. Every floppy takes about 1 minute to be imaged plus the time for handling it physically. Soon the floppy era will be over here.

The equipment

This turned out to be more of a problem than I expected initially. Why is that? Simple: my work horse machine runs Windows 10. The floppy drive is a HP multibay FDC and guess what, when run with the floppy drive inserted (default is DVD), Windows 10 does not have a suitable USB driver for it.

The FDC driver solution

To make everything work, I spun up a 32-bit Windows XP virtual machine inside VirtualBox. This comes with the appropriate FDC drivers out of the box. I then configured the specific USB-ID in VirtualBox as a pass-thru USB device and voila, the XP virtual machine recognizes the USB multibay floppy drive.

The software

For reading the disk images, I used RawWrite for Windows, which is available for Windows XP. The floppy images went to a VirtualBox shared drive and now my Windows 10 file system can see them.

In addition to RawWrite I sometimes had to use the DOS prompt commands copy or xcopy inside the virtual Windows XP machine. Old diskettes are sometimes hard to read. RawWrite gives up on them quite early whereas copy / xcopy do multiple retries and try to re-align the drive head. When copy was successful reading the sector, often times RawWrite would succeed in a second attempt as well.

Rumor has it that floppy diskettes are extremely unreliable. I cannot confirm that. Given that these floppies haven't been touched for about 20 years, I found only about 1% completely unreadable. You may argue that a data loss of 1% is quite significant but given the technology and the age of the media I would have expected the result to be worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bootstrapping DOS inside VirtualBox

Adding Drivers - Part 1

Adding Drivers - Part 2